I've been battling a cold this week, and as always, I up my dosage of Juice Plus to ward it off quickly. I've also been making smoothies every morning for breakfast. Here are a few things I like to add to my smoothies to up the nutrition content and help ward off the virus:
- Cucumber: One of the most alkaline foods you can eat. Amazingly, cucumber is 95% water! Not surprisingly, the American diet tips to the acidic side of the pH scale. Here's the great news: Diseases CANNOT thrive in an alkaline body! So when you're sick, load up on these foods! Cucumber adds a delicious, refreshing taste to a smoothie. A handful of spinach would be another great alkalizing option.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Look no further. The cure-all. From aches and pains to colds and flu to cancer and diabetes to weight loss and skin care. The list goes on! I know it has a strong taste, but just a tablespoon of this in the following recipe, and you'll never know it's there!
- Flax Seed: Some say it's one of the most powerful foods on earth. A great source of omega-3 essential fatty acids (the good fats), lignans (antioxidant capabilities), and fiber. Add a couple teaspoons (already ground) to your smoothie for a great nutritional boost. Too much will make your smoothie chalky, but a couple teaspoons you'll barely notice.
- 1 c. orange juice (Vitamin C, Vitamin C!!)
- 1 c. vanilla almond milk (adds a lovely bit of sweetness and creaminess)
- 1 ripe banana (Essential for the classic smoothie texture, in my opinion)
- Half a cucumber
- 2 c. frozen fruit (I keep a bag of mixed frozen fruit on hand for smoothies. If you use fresh, be sure to add a few ice cubes.)
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp flax seed
- 1/2 c. vanilla yogurt (I add some if I have it on hand, but it's not a big deal if I don't. Adds an extra bit of sweetness and creaminess - plus calcium of course).
- If you want a bit more sweetness, add a drizzle of honey.
Sometimes I link to: Craft-O-Maniac, The Better Mom, Keeping It Simple, Create with Joy, Growing Home, Cornerstone Confessions, Somewhat Simple, Food on Friday, No Ordinary Blog Hop, Nap Time Crafters